Egypt Middle East

Stay At – Bet el Kerem, Aswan

During my July Egyptian holiday, my cousin and I took off for a quick weekend in Aswan, Egypt. Due to the intense heat, summer is a slow season for Egyptian tourism. Do not let that deter you, I highly encourage off-season travel! We enjoyed our stay at Bet el Kerem,  a vibrant Nubian guesthouse located in the Nagh el Kuba village, West Aswan. Travelers of all ages will appreciate this gem, a 2017 TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence winner! Read on further about our stay at Bet el Kerem.

Getting There

We took a 1 1/2 hour Air Egypt afternoon flight from Cairo to Aswan International Airport. As a courtesy to guests, the guesthouse provides airport transfers. We were picked up by the staff and taken to the guesthouse half an hour away.

The Guesthouse

The guesthouse is a charming, Nubian style brick mansion with sitting areas in the front garden. The interiors are decorated with bold, patterned tapestries that provided a cheerful atmosphere throughout. On the first floor, there is a table tennis board for guest entertainment.

My favourite area of the guesthouse was the rooftop terrace. There, our host Ali served us hot lemongrass and hibiscus (karkadee) teas as a welcome, while we feasted our eyes on stunning views of the adjacent Tomb of the Nobles, village and Nile river.

View of the Tomb of the Nobles from Rooftop Terrace

As an after-dinner treat, Ali – who is a skilled boatman, took us out for a cool night-time river cruise in the guesthouse’s boat.

The Rooms

There are 9 rooms in total at Bet el Kerem.  There are 5 rooms on the first floor – 2 with en suite showers, and a shared bathroom in the hall.  The ground floor contains 4 air-conditioned rooms – 2 double and 2 family rooms equipped with full en suite bathrooms. We stayed in clean, comfortable, air-conditioned rooms on the first floor that provided sweet relief from the summer heat.

Room with ensuite shower and sink

The Food

The best food I ate during my Egyptian vacation was served at Bet el Kerem. I recommend that you eat nowhere else during your stay in Aswan! Dinner featured a delicious range of local dishes. One of my favourites was molokhia, a smooth blended soup made from okra and jute leaves. It reminded of Trinidad & Tobago’s callaloo, which is made from taro leaves.

Breakfast was an equally delightful affair. I particularly loved the scrambled eggs and pitas, cooked in local fashion. I ate 3 helpings with no shame!

I have no reservations whatsoever in recommending travelers to stay at Bet el Kerem, Aswan.  It’s warm, friendly and efficient staff will showcase true Nubian hospitality that will encourage you to return again and again!

More Information

• Hotel : Bet el Kerem
  • Location: Nagh el Kuba Village, West Aswan, Egypt
  • Accommodation: 3 star
  • Price Range:$$
  • Amenities:
    • Tour arrangements. Bet el Kerem serves as a jump off point for Abu Simbel and Aswan city tours.
    • Walking distance from the guesthouse to the ferry that takes you to the city
    • Laundry
    • WiFi
    • Airport transfers

Loved it? Pin it!

You Might Also Like

20 Comments

Taryn
    at 8:45 PM

The view from that rooftop is gorgeous. And it sounds like the boat trip was lovely. Great post.
    Taryn recently posted…Chasing Waterfalls in Wells Gray Provincial ParkMy Profile

Kathi
    at 7:33 AM

Love the colourful tiles! I’ve been dreaming of visiting Egypt for a long time – hope to visit one day!

• Victoria Hawkins
      Victoria Hawkins
      at 7:19 PM

They were cloth tapestries. Egypt was a childhood dream come true! Do take the time to visit.

Kim Carter
      at 11:05 PM

I stayed 3 nights at Bet el Kerem. I love this place. One of the highlights in my life.

Kate
    at 12:03 PM

Thanks for sharing this post. What a lovely rooftop view! And the food looks super delicious! Ali seems like a genuinely nice person. I wish I could go to Egypt soon because it is in my bucketlist. And if I ever make it there, I hope I could explore farther outside of Cairo too.

• Victoria Hawkins
      Victoria Hawkins
      at 7:12 PM

I highly recommend getting out of Cairo for some R&R in Aswan! I wish i could’ve stayed longer!

Mireille Gitzinger
    at 6:02 PM

What a nice hotel. Seems like you had a really good time there 🙂

Jessica Flynn
    at 7:40 AM

Egypt has been on my list for as long as I can remember, I even had a penpal there at one stage. This is great! Thank you for sharing.

Nina
    at 11:29 AM

This place looks so charming! I can see why you loved the rooftop terrace, and going for a boat ride at night sounds lovely.

Catherine
    at 6:50 PM

This looks like a fabulous place to stay. Have added to our list to check out. I can imagine spending a bit of time on that rooftop!

Mitali
    at 12:28 AM

That guest house looks really cute. The artwork is so much intresting and the views of from the rooftop is just peaceful

Maxine
    at 3:47 AM

Oh my gosh that view from the rooftop is amazing! And a river cruise? Sounds like so much fun! Great post, enjoyed reading 🙂

Julie
    at 11:21 AM

Those tiles are gorgeous! What a beautiful and colorful place to stay!

Megan
    at 6:00 PM

This looks like such a wonderful stay! I’ve wanted to visit Egypt since I was a little girl, and this makes it look much more approachable and possible. Thanks for the peek inside!

Petronella Rens
    at 8:58 PM

Indeed a lovely place. I was there wuth mu family (2 adults and 3 children), and we loved every minute of our 9 daya stay.

Francesca Murray
    at 10:56 PM

What a charming hotel! I also love traveling during off season. You get the best deals!

andrea
    at 12:15 PM

I loved that wall! Egypt is so interesting to me! Thanks for the post!

Agness of e Tramping
    at 3:00 PM

Such a charming and breathtaking place where I would love to stay for a couple of nights. I especially liked the rooftop terrace, Victoria. How many days would you recommend staying there?

• Victoria Hawkins
      Victoria Hawkins
      at 7:16 PM

I’d recommend a week at least! I loved my too short time there, a great getaway from noisy Cairo!