The Sphinx and Pyramids of Giza
The Museum of Egyptian Antiquities, Cairo
The Luxor Temple
Temple of Hatshepsut, Valley of the Kings
The Karnak Temple, Luxor
Abu Simbel Temples, Aswan
Nile River Cruise, Aswan
Egypt is a destination close to, or at the very top of every world traveler’s bucket list. It was certainly at the top of mine! Egyptophile or not, you cannot help but be awed by Egypt’s jaw-dropping monuments, priceless artifacts, and its history as a powerful civilization that laid the foundations for modern life. Selecting 20 photos to inspire you to visit Egypt was not easy! From chaotic Cairo in the north to laid back Aswan in the south, the present is always juxtaposed with the past. New discoveries are unearthed constantly that fuel the world’s fascination with ancient Egypt.
I had a childhood dream of visiting the land of the mighty Pharaohs and being immersed in the enthralling history that I saw in movies and documentaries. In June 2015, I leapt at the opportunity to visit Egypt when my cousin received a diplomatic posting at the U.S Embassy in Cairo. Memories of my most epic journey to date are still vivid in my mind and I always dream of returning in the near future!
Reasons why I chose these 20 photos to inspire you to visit Egypt
- The Pyramids of Giza and Sphinx are a MUST. They’re the last of the 7 Wonders of the ancient world!
- The Egyptian Museum of Antiquities is a glorious treasure trove of relics for history lovers. See the mask and possessions of the boy-king King Tutankhamen! And be sure to visit the Royal Mummies collection to view some of the most important rulers in ancient history!
- The Karnak and Luxor Temples will blow your mind with their colossal statues, obelisks and pillars.
- The Temple of Queen Hatshepsut was built by Egypt’s first female pharaoh of the same name. She seized power from her young stepson, Thutmose III, and built this shrine for herself!
- Aswan provides an ultra-relaxing getaway on the River Nile. It is home to Egypt’s Nubian population and the incredible UNESCO Heritage site, the Abu Simbel Temples.
We’re all aware of travel advisories and security concerns regarding Egypt. Note however, that if an incident happens in one area it doesn’t mean that the entire country is in an uproar! As with all destinations, exercise common sense and be vigilant. I hope my 20 selected photos will pique your interest and inspire you to visit this amazing country!
Liked it? Pin It!